Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 6: Which book made you cry?

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!







Umm...again with the weird phrasing...since more than one book has made me cry. I mentioned one such book in my first post for this challenge.

But the all time winner for most tears and most heart wrenching and most gut-turning-make-me-want-throw-up cry is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenenger. (Until I read this book, it was a book that I read when I was a kid about a girl whose dad dies from cancer and her struggle from the time of diagnosis until the year after he died. I cried a lot. I can't remember what it was called though.)

I have read this book a few times and even though I know what's going to happen, I still sob when I reach the part where Henry dies. I get all teary now when they mention the deer dying for the first time and it's just foreshadowing. But I know that Henry is going to die in a few hundred pages and I cry. And then when he does die. UGH.

The last time I read this book, I actually had to put it down and come back later. Because I was crying too much to see the words.

The first time I read it, I stayed up into the wee hours to finish it. Alex was working nights and I finished it just before he got home. I couldn't turn the light off I was so upset, so when he came home I was in bed, asleep, with the light on and I had a soaking wet pillow and puffy eyes and cheeks. He woke me up to see what was wrong - fearing the worst about some unknown friend or family member - and of course before I could tell him it was just a book, I started crying.

Seriously, this book is at the top of my list for all time favourites. And it will make you cry. My sister, who never cries at books, cried. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment